Saturday, November 14, 2009

Klimtian Copies

After a lengthy hunt for a good, functioning scanner on campus, I finally located one in the science and engineering library. So I am able to post the Klimt-inspired images. Here they are:

There was a fifth one, but it failed miserably enough to not even merit posting here. I did these, as I said below, as an exercise to get myself thinking outside of the object, since that is what I usually focus on in my work. When I created them, I intended to duplicate Klimt's backgrounds exactly, to be completely and totally derivative for the sake of the exercise. However, as is usually the case when I try to copy something, the "me" voice creeps in, totally unintentionally, to the point where the source is not always recognizable. As a result, I think that these are perhaps more in conversation with Klimt's work than they are copies. They are all 4x6 inches, but I am considering blowing up either the second or the third of them and trying to use paint, rather than magic markers.

2 comments:

aoleach said...

the second one is so compulsive. I love it!

Miguel said...

I liked three and four, myself =)