Saturday, November 14, 2009

Domestic Portraits

Two posts in one day!

These pieces are from a slightly older series--last spring and summer--but are part of an ongoing project. These are even tinier than I usually work, only 3x2 inches, in oil paint. Each is intended to capture a moment or object of domesticity. I sort of consider them portraits of the mundane. I find them more interesting when they are viewed together, and when considering how I would choose to display them, I've been most drawn to the idea of throwing them all in a cardboard box and letting people rifle through them (that's probably not archivally sound, but I think I'd be okay with that).

I started making these because I find them meditative and relaxing to create. I also like how they force me to be alert to moments of interesting color or shape in my daily routines. I think next up is something involving an espresso cup.

3 comments:

aoleach said...

the last one with the bag of onions is interesting... the grid of the bag kind of oscillates between being really flat and actually capturing how that mesh falls around the onions. (....they are onions, right?)

Blake said...

Caitlin, I am so glad that you are back into the blog world! It is really great to see your work, I miss our art club sessions together. I will admit my production level has been depressingly low, but hearing you talk about painting is bringing that creative bug back. You are inspiring me to start again.

Caitlin said...

Blake, I miss art club too! It's so hard to work without structure...though being new and relatively alone in a place seems good for productivity.